Friday, February 1, 2008

Black History Month: Diahann Carroll


Diahann Carroll is a lady who I'd love to get the opportunity to meet one day. She's elegant, classy, funny and one heck of an actor. She began her acting career, in 1954, with her Broadway debut at the age of 19, in The House of Flowers. Also, that same year she debuted in film, with Carmen Jones, alongside Dorothy Dandridge and Pearl Bailey. After appearing in a number of films, in 1968 Ms. Carroll broke barriers becoming the 1st African-American to have her own show when given the starring role in Julia, which landed her a Golden Globe in 1968 and opened doors for a little brown girl like me. Through her achievements, there are now a plethora of opportunity for me to spread my wings and fly. And although there has been many a black girl show since, I'm happy that I am aware of who started it and that I have a greater chance too.

No comments:

Blog Archive